Wednesday 2 November 2011

SHELLY DAY!!!

Shelly Day!!!!!!

So I got home from work this afternoon, put down my bag and I just grinned, stretched and did a little jig. Why? Because it is a Shelly Day! No meetings or any other obligations which required me to go out, teach, sit on my computer etc. I could do anything....and I chose to write a blogJ  because I missed talking to you all so much and I know you miss me too.

I love my life. I know I thrive when I am busy. Similarly, I know how much I enjoy giving back and I really do love new challenges. However, in order to sustain the level of energy and activity I partake in, I must have ‘Shelly Days.’

So what are Shelly Days? This can be an afternoon, day or weekend when I say to the world.....I need a timeout...I need to relax, regroup and rejuvenate and usually it means I am going to stay home and chill or if I am lucky I can take a walk on the beach.  So on a Shelly Day, I catch up on some of my favourite shows for example...I really like Big Bang Theory, Modern Family and How I met your Mother.  Sometimes, I lie down and listen to gospel music or I read books which I meant to read or take up the phone and catch up with friends whom I may have neglected...

These days are important to me because I know how easy it is to get overwhelmed with other’s demands, wants and needs. To counter that we must always make time to firstly reconnect with ourselves and then reconnect with those who help to build us up. Don’t ever pick up the phone to call those who break you down.

Every day, our job, family, friends and other organisations make demands on us so when our mind, body and soul are screaming for breaks from it all...LISTEN! It really is that simple.

On these days, give your mind, body and spirit permission to be at peace. Don’t worry about the big project due on Friday, forget about the conflict within your family, find a baby sitter, allow yourself a treat...whatever works for you, do it.

Schedule an ‘Insert name here’ day today! You will be amazed at the therapeutic benefits you will experience.








2 comments:

  1. I keep saying it.. Totally Agree, I need a Paula Week! :) Continue the great work Shelly.

    PVG

    ReplyDelete
  2. lol thanks Paula...seriously those 'me' days are totally necessary to relax and unwind..so hurry up and take your Paula Week if you need to!

    ReplyDelete