Tuesday 6 March 2012

Why I am never bored in Anguilla!

Anguilla! It is truly ‘one of a kind.’ It is my island home.

I actually wanted to start another blog focusing on ‘Why I love Anguilla’ but then I had to take a step back and say...girl you are way too busy...focus on what you are currently involved in now. I will start that blog though eventually!
I was speaking to a friend and I asked what should I blog about today. She suggested blogging about why so many Anguillians cannot swim and do not go out to enjoy our beaches while visitors come from so far away to enjoy our beaches and swim and dive in our azure blue waters.

So why is that? I guess it boils down to the fact that most of us do not appreciate what is right in front us. I have lived in North America and in the United Kingdom and yes there are things in these countries which I like and certainly things I dislike but honest to God, for me, there is nowhere like home.

Where else would a rooster be crowing in the middle of the night when dawn is still hours away? Where else can I sit on the porch and enjoy the wonders and beauty of the stars which are not obstructed in any way at all by sky scrapers or pollution. Where else do I have the right and the privilege to enjoy 33 beautiful beaches any day, anytime, anywhere and where else would I have the choice of a five star restaurant or a local road side bistro all within fifteen minutes drive?
I very fondly remember my childhood growing up in Anguilla. I don’t ever remember being bored. My cousins, my neighbours, my friends...someone was always around. I remember going through the bush looking for popes and berries with my cousins, long drives to East End on the back of a pick up to climb trees and pick mangoes on our land there, flying kites, playing marbles, playing catching and dolly house and of course the picnics on the beach (I dreaded washing my hair though and still do!).

As an adult, Anguilla is still this wonderful place where I am never bored. So outside of the myriad of activities which I engage in during my volunteer and professional life, my favourite Anguillian experiences in recent times are
1)      Watching my boyfriend pick coconuts and then watching him cut them out. By this time, my young neighbours Liha and Nari would have made their way over to my yard. I would listen to them chatter and we would all enjoy some coconut water and jelly. Yummy and refreshing!

2)      Hanging out with my family and friends....whether it is a movie night, games night, picnic, fish fry, barbeque or breakfast or dinner at a top class restaurant, we always have a great time.

3)      Hikes and excursions with the National Trust. Anguilla and its neighbouring cays are amazingly beautiful and thanks to Farah and her team I have enjoyed some terrific, exciting and sometimes sobering experiences!

4)      Sunsets and Sunrises on the beach – whether or not I am swimming as I indicated in a previous blog, walking on the beach and watching the sea relaxes me. Sharing this experience with a loved one doubles the pleasure.

5)      Music and talking, laughing and dancing under the stars and the good thing about Anguilla is that the stars are visible from everywhere.




So that’s my list – these days I am pretty low key but if you are looking for more activity, I know there are terrific local acts and parties in and around the island amongst many other things. My point is we all just need to get out more and to appreciate what we do have. Take the word ‘bored’ out of your vocabulary. 

Anguilla isn’t perfect and the recent criminal activities will continue to affect all of us if we don’t speak out. We have always marketed Anguilla as virtually having no crime. Outside of the tourists personally, I want to be able to continue to enjoy this island paradise without fear. What about you?

So what are your favourite childhood memories growing up in Anguilla and what Anguillian experiences do you enjoy most today? Post a comment below. I look forward to hearing from you. Say yes to not being bored today!






12 comments:

  1. awww man...my favourite childhood memory...hmmm. I gotta say probably setting killibands (traps) to catch turtle doves and rushing home after school with my friends to find out the catch of the day, cleaning and seasoning dem suckas up and grillin' um. (this was waaaaaay before they became the national bird tho..hehehe)

    Enjoyed reading this blog my lil secret. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. lol hey ...that's a great childhood memory. I too remember one of my cousin's catching a dove with a trap....I didn't eat it though lol. Thanks for reading and for carrying us down memoory lane.

      Delete
  2. I remember my brother and I riding bikes down hills with no fears of any traffic. Little Harbour was almost vehicle less back then Good times. Thank you for the nostalgic memories Shelly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope your children will still be able to find a safe place to ride their bikes so they too can have such memories. Thanks for reading!

      Delete
  3. My family is from Anguilla and I go about every other summer. Even though I don't live there, Anguilla is still my home away from home. My favorite memories are going to the beach for a picnic and catching and roasting fish right there on the beach. I remember searching for longbacks and wilks (not sure if I spelled that correctly). We could also have fun going to pick mangoes. Sugar apples are delicious!! We also took a trip to little bay one year and it's like being on your own private beach!! Church in the Anguilla is much livelier than in my American church also. The singing is glorious and just lifts your spirit. Rawleys chicken and chips is great, the pageants and shows in the Village (like the prince and princess show, Miss Anguilla, etc), and the soca or carnival music contest (can't remember exactly but there was singing) are all highlights for me. Just hanging out on a hammock or taking a walk with my cousins is a great way to spend the day. The library is one of my favorite places to be on a chill day. Man, in the words of Panther Vibes "There is nowhere in the whole wide world, Anguilla's the only place for me. I call it PARADISE!!"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow I enjoyed your mini post...so many things that you said are things that I also enjoy. I am glad that you had so many fond memories in Anguilla and I hope that you will continue to come back and to share your Anguilian experiences with the rest of the world. Paradise indeed!

      Delete
  4. I too can say I had a great childhood! My fondest memories include pounding out almonds and eating them, Cooking in the "bush" in a butter pan, spending entire days at the beach, dance parties with cousins, playing cricket and baseball in the yard, riding bikes and so much more!! Thanks for sharing, Shelly!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. lol those are indeed great memories. I too remember almonds...hmmm I wonder how many children do that today still. Thanks for posting a comment!

      Delete
  5. Happy to hear that the Trust activities made your Top 5 list! We've definitely had some interesting and entertaining times! Always an adventure...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love Trust activities...I wish more Anguillians would come out and experience them. I look forward to a lot more adventures with the Trust!

      Delete
  6. I read a Trip to the Beach and enjoyed seeing the pictures of Blanchard's Beach Shack. I really enjoy reading your blog and love your photos! Anguilla might be the next island I visit!


    Anguilla Beach

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yvonne thanks so much for your comment. I certainly hope that Anguilla is the next island you visit. We are friendly people and will welcome you with warm smiles.

      I have been contemplating starting a blog simply about my life in Anguilla and your comment helped me to finalise that decision! Have a Merry Christmas and a wonderful new year. Stay tuned for more pics and experiences in 2013.

      Delete