Friday 3 May 2013

My Grocery Shopping Experience or Insert CCC here – When Customer Service Ideas go horribly wrong!


 
As you know, I take an ample interest in customer service. In fact, I teach a course called Personal and Professional Development at the Comprehensive Learning Centre where Customer Service is one of four elements discussed.

Thus I looked on first with interest and guarded approval when I noted that grocery stores were introducing loyalty cards/programmes and also introducing the concept of an express lane.

With one grocery store in particular, my interest soon turned to dismay when I noted that the loyalty cards and express lane were not functioning as they are supposed to, if the goal was to provide an additional service and exceed customer’s expectations.

I will speak first from my experience with the loyalty card. The week, Nash and I got married we went to the store (because we love to eat) and they asked us if we wanted to sign up. We thought this is great. We could realise some savings or so we thought. Each week since then, we have continued to shop at this store. Each week we are asked for our number so they can check if it has been entered into the system. Each week, the answer is ‘I’m sorry, your number has not yet been entered’ with an apologetic looking face from the cashier’ often accompanied by a peppy ‘Better luck next week’ or my preference, a shrug of the shoulders as the cashiers honestly are not equipped with a helpful response.
 

OK. So it has been 10 weeks and that has been my experience with the loyalty programme. Unfortunately, it seems that many others are experiencing the same problem. While new programmes will have their issues, I am not aware if this issue is being dealt with by management.

The funny thing is, prior to the introduction of this programme, most customers were  doing their shopping without any concerns about getting future points or discounts on purchases or without any high expectations for customer service. 
This store raised expectations among customers and then fell far below meeting those expectations. The result has been unhappy customers or in my case a simply amused and bewildered customer.  How did something which has been done around the world become so complicated? The store can get it right, if it makes a genuine effort.

A simple starting measure would be to empower the cashiers to take the names of those who are not yet in the system so that contact can be made with those responsible for inputting the information to ensure it is done. Everything must be done with the aim of exceeding the customer’s expectations.

Let’s talk briefly now about the express lane where a sign clearly states under ten items. I encountered a friend the other day who was blue mad as she was made to stand in the express lane with 3 items for over a half an hour as persons with loaded carts were checked. When she enquired with the cashier as to whether or not she could be checked with her three items she was told ‘everyone will get checked eventually.’ She enquired about the futility of the sign and asked why it exists.

Once again the store in mind has failed their customers. There was an expectation of a certain level and type of service being provided and once again the ability to meet customer expectations hit rock bottom.

Many businesses are patronised not because of the service they provide but simply because of the price or availability of certain items.

Most persons will not stop shopping at a grocery store or any other store because of bad service because our choices are limited. However, our island is rapidly changing and expanding and to retain customer loyalty, businesses must get their act together or risk losing business not today or tomorrow but perhaps in the medium to long term.

I went shopping yesterday and asked the cashier what are my options for this loyalty programme. She said I could sign up again. So I did to test their system once again.
 

Will they exceed my expectations this time? It really shouldn’t be too difficult because as a customer my expectations are quite low now.

If you are providing a service of any kind, ensure that today you meet and exceed the expectations of your customers. Build customer loyalty effectively today.

 

2 comments:

  1. Sounds very bad. I remember working in a retail store and quite often the things that made the store stand out was not always what the store did or tried to implement, but what the employees decided to do to ensure the appropriate level of service was delivered.

    I can only hope that things will improve. Perhaps if one store gets it right, it will serve as sufficient motivation for other stores to improve service delivery.

    Ardel

    ReplyDelete