Friday 26 August 2011

Staying Positive when Dealing with the Unexpected!

Hi everyone

I would like to apologise for the extended period without a post. I was on vacation with limited access to email. On top of that I got stuck in a neighbouring island for a couple of days due to the passage of Hurricane Irene.

Vacations are a wonderful way to regroup and refocus. They don’t have to be expensive either! Earlier this year, I had a staycation (stay at home vacation) and it was fabulous. You should try it!

Vacations like everything in life do not always go smoothly and how we deal with a situation when it doesn’t go as planned says a lot about us. For example, lost luggage, hurricanes, and missed flights – how do we deal with it all?

I have learnt and I am still learning that when things don’t go my way – my best response is to take a couple of deep breaths, stay calm and positive and try to figure out the best way forward. Keep in mind that a negative attitude, disruptive behaviour or abusive language is seldom an ideal or productive response.

So yesterday after being stuck for three days (with some good times and bad ones) our 9-seater plane took off in the middle of the rain, thunder and lightning. In addition to a good pilot,  it took a positive attitude, some deep breaths, a quick prayer and plenty of nervous laughter and thankfully we made it safely back to Anguilla.
I love vacations but it is really good to be home.


No comments:

Post a Comment