Sunday 28 August 2011

How to choose a path for success

As I exited the bank the other day, some tourists pulled up beside me and asked for directions to a grocery story. I gave them clear directions using words like ‘left’ and ‘right’ which I was positive if followed correctly would take them to their intended destination.

Life, however does not work this way. I recently read a book entitled ‘More than a Dream’ – Prescriptions for Success.’ It was a feel good, simple book with lots of anecdotes and inspiring quotations…so I read it...now what?  Well apply these prescriptions to your life and you will be successful of course….I am not convinced.

We all define success in different ways and success means different things at different stages in our lives. For some of us success is synonymous with having strong familial relationships, for others it means reaching some pinnacle in your career and yet for others it might mean taking that first step when you were told by doctors that you would never walk again.

There are no clear prescriptions for our lives. There are no directions to show us how to get to that place we want to be, how to reach that goal we want to reach. There are of course many books, videos, inspirational speakers who can give advice about how to proceed but for each of us the road to success will be different.

I think that makes life interesting. Don’t you? Today take that first step towards success (you know within you what it is)…left, right, up, down…you choose.


No comments:

Post a Comment