Thursday 15 September 2011

Optimism!

Hi

Thanks for stopping by to read my blog!

About five years ago, I joined this wonderful international organisation called Optimist International (there is probably an Optimist Club near you J - Do Join). The Optimist Club is a service organisation whose motto is ‘friend of youth.’ It therefore strives to reach out and help young people in various ways. In Anguilla, I served as a member under some great leaders and now it is my time to lead. Am I excited, am I nervous? Yes to both!

  I feel confident however in my new team/board and in the commitment of my Optimist family. There are many persons on whom I can lean on and learn from.

I will strive to be a committed, compassionate, inclusive, decisive, visionary and ethically bound leader because those are the characteristics I admire most in leaders.

What do you admire most in a leader? What characteristics do you seek to emulate? Whatever you choose, try to start working on developing that characteristic in yourself and practice the skill or characteristic when interacting with others.

Each day should provide an opportunity to build on a positive skill or characteristic. For example, when I experience completely mundane, frustrating days at work – I try to build the characteristics of patience and optimismJ. Don't laugh..its true :).
 
If you get a chance, Google the Optimist Creed...these are words to live by. It’s not always easy but it does contain many things we should strive for, many things we should ‘Promise ourselves.’

The theme for the Optimist Caribbean District for 2011 is ‘The Power of One.’ I have the power to make a difference. Guess what – YOU CAN TOO.  I really liked the following words I found online:

One step must start each journey
One touch can show you care
One hope will raise our spirits
One word must start each prayer
One voice can speak with wisdom
One heart can know what is true
One life can make the difference
And that One is ‘You’

Think about it. What are YOU doing to make a difference in your life, our community or our world today?


No comments:

Post a Comment