Tuesday 22 November 2011

Yes I Can, Yes We Can, Yes!

Yes, I have a ‘Can do’ and a ‘Will do’ attitude to life...Do you?

So what is a ‘can do’ or a ‘will do’ attitude? A ‘can do’ attitude makes you confident and resourceful in the face of challenges. It is marked by the willingness to tackle a job and get it done.
Some of our greatest leaders have demonstrated a ‘can do’ and a ‘will do’ attitude. In fact we all remember Barack Obama’s tagline ‘Yes we can.’ I have no doubt that Obama would have chanted in the mirror in the years leading up to the election ‘Yes I can’ as well. He may have said ‘Yes I can overcome barriers of race, ‘Yes I can’ get all types of persons to vote for me, ‘Yes I can’ become President of the United States.  A person with a ‘cannot’ or ‘will not’ attitude would never have accomplished such a feat.
Similarly, other great leaders and role models such as Martin Luther King, Florence Nightingale, Mahatma Gandhi must have all possessed a ‘can do’ approach to life and each of these left an irrefutable mark on the world.
Each of us has within us the power to change our attitude regardless of our circumstances. Just ask Nick Vujicic who was born without arms and legs but still lives a life full of happiness. In his book ‘Life without Limits’ the central theme is that the most important goal for anyone is to find their life’s purpose despite whatever difficulties or seemingly impossible odds stand in their way. He is a preacher and motivational speaker and of course he has a ‘can do ‘and a ‘will do ‘attitude towards life.

I have heard people come up with all manner of excuses for why they cannot or will not do something. Excuses include, I will never achieve that because I have the wrong last name or that is just too much work, or I am too big or I have never done that before....the excuses are endless.

Instead of thinking why you cannot..let’s try this novel idea...let’s think why we ‘can’ or why we ‘should.’ So many of us bury, ignore and waste our God given talents and abilities and cover them up with excuses.

I applaud persons with ‘can do’ attitudes like my friend from university...Nneka Elliot...check out her blog ‘In pursuit of the dream’ at nneka-elliot.blogspot.com. I also see these persons here in Anguilla and they include persons who volunteer, persons who are effectively raising their children, persons who have taken control of their health and diet, and persons who are building their homes and starting businesses....
You too can have a ‘can do’ and ‘will do’ attitude. Set a SMART goal and say yes I can accomplish this goal! Do this today.
This is the book that you'll read



No comments:

Post a Comment