Tuesday 24 January 2012

How to deal with less than perfect days


Life isn’t always perfect...






How I deal with less than perfect days!
Regardless of how optimistic you are, or how prepared you are or how ambitious you are or how rich you are, there are going to be some days when you get bad news, when your boss annoys the hell out of you, when family members make impossible demands of you or when things simply just don’t go your way.
Your problems or my problems or your bad day or my bad day may be small in the grand context of ‘real problems,’ or ‘real bad days’ but we seldom want to hear that.
I’ve learned though, the long and short of it – That’s Life. Ish happens. There will be things and events we have no control over but we always have control over our response to these things and events.
Today, I had a not so great day (not true, let me rephrase). I had a great, positive and fulfilling day other than two ‘negative’ experiences (glass half fullJ). One I dealt with well, the other not as well. Thanks again to another great friend, who prevented me from sending an email in frustration and anger.
However, I didn’t dwell on either experience for long and below are some of the main things I do to change a not so perfect day into a day with a perfect ending.
1)                Hugs (or a couple of hugs) always help. Thanks babes.

2)                Comfort Food! Don’t laugh because my comfort food is a fruit and oranges at that. Peeling the orange and eating it piece by piece is very relaxing.

3)                An episode of ‘Big Bang Theory. ’ All fans of Big Bang Theory would completely understand. I can’t help but laugh when I watch this show.

4)                I get involved with children or read a book or read something online where I can learn something new (geeky maybe but effective)

5)                Youtube. I watch and listen to some of my favourite gospel songs, read some of my favourite scriptures and pray.
It is important to have a response or positive mechanism to deal with not so great days.
I know it is tempting to vent to everyone you can think of or to sit and analyse for hours what you could have done differently in a particular situation. However, the first response simply fuels your anger or frustration and the second is simply bad for your health.
So find a healthy way of dealing with problems or bad days today. I did!
Do post a comment below to let me know how you deal with problems or bad days.
Have a great problem free week everyone!










1 comment:

  1. I think this was great. Very real, close to home and inspiring.

    ReplyDelete