Saturday 14 January 2012

A Pumpkin Experience


True story – So a while back, my mom threw out some pumpkin seeds and a short while later, we noticed a pumpkin vine which quickly spread. A couple of days ago I saw a baby pumpkin and I was so excited.

Anyways, today I was examining the pumpkin patch and I saw the grown pumpkin in the picture. I screamed in excitement. I literally could not have been more excited if I had grown that pumpkin myself.

I immediately called my boyfriend to share the news of my grown pumpkin and like a proud mother I sent a picture of my grown pumpkin to one of my Blackberry groups which contains some of my close friends.

I shared the story of my pumpkin and I told my friends I now want to farm. Here is where the story takes a turn. My girlfriend says...’Farm Shelly.... Really?’ And just like that, my head came out of the clouds and reality set in. I was not going to be a farmer. I don’t like dirt. I don’t have the time or will. I don’t have a passion for it.

That doesn’t mean that I won’t grow stuff. My boyfriend planted a mango tree for me which I have been watering regularly (even though it’s still not doing too well).  I will even go so far as to plant some other seeds and my lime tree which has been in a pot for months. However, the reality is despite this feel good experience of finding a pumpkin, I won’t be a farmer.

Have you ever had a pumpkin experience? Did something good happen to you by a fluke? Did you reap a reward without sowing seeds?  Did you stumble upon a pumpkin and jumped straight into farming?

I learnt a few lessons from my pumpkin experience and my very brief farming aspiration:

1)    Whether it is your next relationship or your next career move...think it through before jumping into it. Is it someone or something you are passionate about?

2)    Very seldom do we get long lasting benefits from an initiative in which we do not put in hard work and commitment (for e.g. unless someone starts to weed my pumpkin vine, all the baby pumpkins may not survive).

3)    It is good to have a friend who will say ‘Get Real’ sometimes. Of course, if this friend is just a naysayer and negative all around, this person should not be your friend. But, if this friend is also supportive for things she/he knows you will succeed at, nurture that friendship.

So, I mentioned my mango tree earlier and I will keep you updated on its progress. My mango tree is struggling but I have faith that it will survive. Similarly, I have faith that my relationship, my career and my other dreams will also continue to strengthen.

I continue to Say Yes to Today every day. I hope you say yes to today too.




No comments:

Post a Comment